“Social Skills Training for Elementary Students on the Autism Spectrum”
Presented by: Jill McMullin
This presentation focuses on the elements of facilitating a social skills group for elementary students on the autism spectrum. A structured learning approach is used as the core teaching model, incorporating four teaching components:
- Didactic instruction / explanation of the skill steps;
- Modeling of the skill steps;
- Role-playing skills with feedback; and
- Practice in and outside the group.
Additional positive incentive supports to maintain the student’s attention and cooperation, including a First-Then chart with an accompanying choice board and a Token Economy chart for skills completed are discussed in this presentation as well.
* Please Note: Closed captioning (CC) is not avalible for this video. We apologize for any inconvenience.